Who is a beautician, and what does he do?
Beautician-aesthetician is very popular today. After all, every woman at any age wants to be beautiful and well-groomed. However, nature endows people with a unique appearance with specific advantages and disadvantages. Yes, and old age will not go anywhere.
Today it is possible to understand the causes of skin problems, successfully solve them and keep your appearance in perfect condition for many years. This becomes possible due to the intensive development of the aesthetic and cosmetic industry. Cosmetologists will help preserve youth and health for a long time.
Who is a beautician
A beautician-esthetician is an employee of a cosmetology salon who conducts advisory activities and performs simple cosmetic procedures.
It is important to understand that there is a significant difference between a cosmetologist with a medical education and an esthetician.
The cosmetologist-esthetician has no medical training. He does not have the right to carry out manipulations involving a skin violation.
The work of an esthetician cannot be related to:
- the introduction of drugs under the skin;
- the implementation of injections that correct the shape and features of the face;
- installation of various implants;
- laser hair removal of the skin;
- ultrasonic manipulation.
A cosmetologist-aesthetician without medical education can only perform some of the simplest aesthetic procedures. And a specialist with a profile diploma already has the right to carry out complex cosmetic surgeries with appearance and teach colleagues some cosmetic techniques.
In serious clinics, both specialists usually work.
The goal of an esthetician is to make the client more attractive. Such services are similar to those of a makeup artist or nail technician.
The activity of a cosmetologist-aesthetician has recently become official. In 2015, the professional standard “Specialist in the provision of household cosmetic services” was introduced. This document describes the types of services that an esthetician can provide. The same professional standard regulates the work of makeup artists, hairdressers, stylists, and other beauty industry representatives.
Professional duties of a cosmetologist-esthetician
Nowadays, the profession of a cosmetologist is very popular. It includes many different variations. You can learn one type of service or specialize in several directions. Generalists are in high demand in the market.
- Facial care. A specialist in the highest category knows almost everything about skin types. He will easily advise you on cosmetics, considering your age and the characteristics of the dermis. For example, qualified artisans can easily pick cosmetics for a teenager with problem skin. If the patient is elderly, the cosmetologist can recommend face fitness (facial massage) and, of course, products that are appropriate for her age category.
- Coloring of eyebrows and eyelashes. A specialist in this category is called an eyebrow specialist. A master brow specialist will help you find the perfect bend for your eyebrows, correcting all the shortcomings. Also, choose the right shade. Some eyebrow specialists are skilled in tattooing techniques. Permanent makeup is now at the peak of popularity, so many estheticians are often trained in this area. Eyelash extensions are also very relevant these days.
- Visage. A makeup artist is a creative person. He knows how to make any woman beautiful, hiding all the shortcomings of her appearance and focusing on the existing advantages. The direction is promising; you will always have work if you choose this activity. Weddings, photo shoots, beauty contests – all these events require the services of a makeup artist.
The main task of an experienced specialist is to create a holistic image so that the makeup suits your appearance and your hairstyle. You must have a natural talent to combine style, comfort, and beauty.
- Manicure. Every woman tries to maintain the beauty of her hands. Therefore, in almost all beauty salons, you will find manicure and pedicure masters. The work of this specialist is highly paid. Not surprisingly, many estheticians take courses in nail care. For a certain fee, you will receive the service of a classic or hardware manicure or pedicure; you can cover your nails with gel polish and make a fashionable design or extension.
- Depilation. The procedure is very popular and aesthetically necessary, as it helps eliminate unwanted hairs on the body. It has many varieties: sugaring, depilation using wax, or specialized creams.
As you can see, there is plenty of room to implement professional skills.
The difference between a cosmetologist-esthetician and a cosmetologist
A cosmetologist-esthetician without medical education does not diagnose skin diseases. He does not have professional training for manipulations that injure the skin. He also cannot prescribe treatment. In general, his work has a strictly aesthetic character.
Only a specialist with a doctor’s diploma has the right to perform plastic surgery and use professional medical equipment.
For a successful and profitable business, cosmetic clinics have specialists of both qualifications on their staffing table. After all, their services are equally in demand, and each professional has its client base. A professional medical diagnoses the disease and selects a course of treatment, while an esthetician suggests suitable restorative procedures.
Qualities necessary for a cosmetologist-esthetician
What qualities should a beautician have?
- Neatness and cleanliness. All employees in the beauty industry must match the place of their work and look appropriate. It is unlikely that a client will want to deal with a person whose hands or hair look untidy. How can you offer beauty services if you don’t care about your own appearance?
- Perseverance. Most cosmetic services are long, detailed procedures. For example, eyebrow shaping. The master should be as focused as possible on his work to draw clear contour lines, remove excess hairs, and color the eyebrow with high quality.
- Sociability. Often a client comes to the master as to his girlfriend to be distracted and chat about this and that. An uncommunicative specialist will find it difficult to work with a client. Communication skills are extremely important.
- The ability to find an approach to everyone. The job requires psychological knowledge. Different people go to salons. Someone is embarrassed and cannot explain what he wants. You need to understand the client and win him over in these cases. Someone is too demanding – and here, the ability to smooth out conflict situations is important.
- The desire to help people. You’ve already lost if you go into a profession just for the money. The main thing is learning to understand and empathize with a person. The client comes to the salon hoping that a specialist will help him.
- Self-development. You will only succeed in your career if you constantly develop. Self-improvement is necessary for the work of a cosmetologist-esthetician. Professionals follow the latest market news, look for non-standard ways to solve everyday problems, and participate in online and offline events.
- Erudition. To be considered a qualified esthetician, one must have a broad outlook and a good understanding of the following disciplines: biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology. Medical education for cosmetologists-estheticians is optional.
- Physical development. You should develop such physical indicators as coordination, endurance, and reaction.
Prospects for the profession of a cosmetologist-esthetician
After completing the course of a cosmetologist-esthetician, you will find a job in any salon or clinic. Usually, especially talented people are offered employment even at the training stage. You can open an individual entrepreneur and develop your business activities, gradually increasing your client base. In general, the specialty is promising, it does not require special physical effort, but you still need certain knowledge and skills.
All professions have their pros and cons. Consider what moments you will encounter while working as a cosmetologist-esthetician:
- Advantages of the profession. Beautician services are quite expensive, so your earnings will be worth it. There will always be clients. Now, women and many men come to salons to work out their appearance. Our environment adversely affects the quality of the skin and the body. So the knowledge and skills of a cosmetologist-esthetician will always come in handy.
The main advantage of the work of beauty industry masters is that they build their schedules. The mode of operation and the number of clients daily can be varied based on the goals for the coming day. Moreover, an esthetician also chooses a workplace himself:
- You can work on the staff of some large organizations.
- You can rent space in a beauty salon and work for yourself, minus rental costs from profits.
- You can conduct private activities at home.
This profession brings great aesthetic satisfaction because the specialist sees how a person is changing before his eyes, becoming more beautiful and confident in himself and his abilities. Also, by entering into communication with the client, the master can acquire useful contacts.
- Disadvantages of the profession The beautician-esthetician must understand that he is responsible for the decisions he makes and the actions he takes. After all, the beauty and health of the client depend on his competence.
Working in the service sector, a specialist must be stress-resistant, patient, and control his feelings and emotions. Learning to listen and hear the client to earn his trust is necessary.
We are all different; some are calm, and some are more emotional. It is important not to take negative emotions from the ward to heart.
From the point of view of aesthetics, on the one hand, it is interesting to observe the transformation of a person, but on the other hand, it is very difficult to work with various diseases and skin defects.
Also, the disadvantages include the fact that the machinery and equipment related to this service sector often wear out and fail. You must be ready for this and quickly fix problems if they appear.
The salary of a beautician can vary depending on various factors such as experience, location, and the type of establishment they work for. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of May 2020, the median hourly wage for skincare specialists (which includes beauticians) was $17.87 per hour, which translates to an annual salary of around $37,130.
However, this can vary significantly based on the beautician’s location, with those working in metropolitan areas or upscale salons earning higher salaries. Additionally, experienced beauticians or those specializing in certain areas, such as makeup or hair styling, may earn higher wages. Commission-based pay structures, common in the beauty industry, can also significantly impact a beautician’s earnings.