Welcome to Chain Reaction.
To receive a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and most important crypto stories in your inbox every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. PT, subscribe here.
It’s week five of the Sam Bankman-Fried trial and a lot has happened for the former FTX CEO.
He testified before the jurors, for several days, after hearing his testimony without their presence.
While we would have preferred to know more about what happened from the man behind this madness himself, he provided little context, particularly when asked about his decisions and actions prior statements during cross-examination with prosecutors. In total, he said a lot of nothing, and yet, everything in his testimony, all at once (TC+). Bankman-Fried answered “Yeah” 372 times, “Not sure” 117 times and “I don’t remember” 73 times, for context.
Now his verdict is in the hands of 12 jurorswhich will determine whether Bankman-Fried is guilty of seven charges related to fraud and money laundering.
That said, our crypto coverage was complete when testing SBF last week, so let’s get to it.
- SBF prosecutors emphasize that this is not a cryptocurrency case: “It’s about lies. » It’s about theft, about greed. (TC+)
- Prosecutors attempt to portray Sam Bankman-Fried as a liar (TC+)
- The SBF defense makes a final 35-minute effort to show its goodwill (TC+)
- Sam Bankman-Fried says he didn’t defraud FTX customers or take their funds (TC+)
The last module
For this week episode, Jacqueline is joined by the editor-in-chief of TechCrunch+ Alex Wilhelm to discuss the end of the trial of Sam Bankman-Fried, former CEO of FTX, who faces seven charges related to fraud and money laundering.
They talked about:
- SBF’s testimony
- The prosecution’s final conclusions
- The defense’s final conclusions
- Key points of the case
- What’s next in the trial
Follow the money
- Modulus raised $6.3M seed round to bring AI technology to dApps
- Kana Labs, a blockchain infrastructure and tooling startup, raised $2 million in a funding round
- Surf Protocol raised $3 million to create a perpetual decentralized exchange on Coinbase’s Base blockchain
- Blockchain transaction tracking platform Vaas raised $2 million in pre-seed round
- Anapaya Systems raises $2 million from Mysten Labs to build web3 infrastructure
This list was compiled with information from Messari as well as TechCrunch’s own reporting.
What else do we write
Do you want to move away from the world of Web3? Here are some articles on TechCrunch that caught our attention this week.
- A new generation of businesses is coming to San Francisco
- For VCs and founders, building public is about filling the top of the funnel. (TC+)
- Founders: It’s never too early to start planning your succession (TC+)
- Don’t be surprised if WeWork files for bankruptcy (TC+)
- Southeast Asia funding at six-year low
Follow me on Twitter @Jacqmelinek for the latest crypto news, memes and more.