Correction of extended eyelashes: how and why?
Eyelashes are an important part of a woman’s appearance. But not everyone can boast of thick and long. Therefore, the extension has become very popular among modern beauties. However, the effect of it does not last long, and after a while, bald spots are formed that spoil the whole look. Then the correction of the extended eyelashes is required.
This procedure restores the original state of the lash line. It involves replacing damaged or fallen eyelashes with new ones. This helps to maintain beauty for a long time. But, before you go for a correction, you need to find out how often it can be carried out, what its advantages are over re-building, what the disadvantages are, and how to keep the result longer. In our essay, we shall discuss this topic.
Why Eyelash Correction is Necessary
Correction of extended eyelashes is used to fill in the gaps in the eyelash line and involves the replacement of the disappeared artificial villi. Natural eyelashes are periodically updated: the hair grows and then falls out on its own. Along with it, the accumulated material is lost.
Each natural eyelash goes through four stages:
- anagen – a period of active growth;
- catagen – the hair lives in its mature state;
- telogen – the stage of aging;
- early anagen – a mature eyelash falls out, making room for a young one.
The time for the correction depends on the number of hairs in the early anagen stage at the time of extension: if there are more young cilia, then a second procedure will be required earlier. Usually, the master can predict the date when you need to invite the client again, but this is selected individually and depends on the rate of hair growth. If you can visually determine that the cilia have grown and the extensions have begun to fall off in places or lie ugly, then it’s time to make an appointment with a specialist.
Natural hair lives on average 30-40 days. And the first correction is usually prescribed 2.5-3 weeks after the initial build-up. The master will carry out the procedure, assess the general condition of the cilia, and recommend when to come again. Then you can increase the interval and visit the lash maker about once every 1–1.5 months.
The correction is relevant if about half of the artificial hairs are left, and the rest have either fallen out or are deformed and must be replaced.
You can determine on your own the date when to sign up for the salon. Pay attention to how your eyes look: if you see that the hairs stick out unaesthetically and there are gaps in the ciliary row, then the right moment has come.
Suppose native hairs begin to fall out intensively and become short and thin. In that case, it is necessary to carry out not a correction but remove extended eyelashes and let the natural ones recover.
Pros and cons of eyelash extensions
What is the good correction of artificial eyelashes:
- less than an hour is required to complete the procedure;
- correction is cheaper than a full extension procedure;
- you can change the aesthetic appearance and make, for example, the eyes brighter and the look deeper.
- Non-fixed cost – craftsmen usually announce the price after the correction, and it depends on the amount of work and materials used (it is impossible to predict costs and assess how profitable it is);
- Even after the most detailed work, eyelashes do not remain in their original form for long due to the growth of young hairs that the master did not touch;
- Frequent procedures are fraught with injuries of natural cilia.
Make extensions and corrections should be done by one master. Lashmakers usually do not undertake to correct someone else’s work.
If the eyelashes are damaged, or it becomes noticeable how the natural ones have grown, the master will offer to remove and re-extension.
Eyelash extensions or new extensions?
Some professionals do only extensions, regardless of the condition of the client’s eyelashes. There are explanations for this:
- Hygiene. It is impossible to fully wash your face and clean your eyes daily with extended cilia. And when removing, you can thoroughly rinse the intercalary space and only after that carry out the following procedure.
- Food. You can apply special restorative oils to natural hairs in the intervals between extensions to strengthen them.
- Inappropriate correction in some cases. There is no point in such a procedure if there has been strong wear on the artificial material and more than 65% of the hairs have fallen out. It will take a lot of time to work, and most importantly, after it, you will need to re-correct the remaining cilia. In this case, it is better to tune in immediately to a new extension.
- The 3D extension does not imply correction.
Deciding on your own what is required – a correction or a new extension – is sometimes impossible, and only a specialist can evaluate this. In each case, the choice may be different since the individual characteristics of the girls suggest a different rate of hair growth, renewal, and condition.
Stages of correction of extended eyelashes
The procedure is usually carried out after 2-3 weeks of wearing artificial cilia. They are not removed completely, but only damaged and regrown hairs are removed. This significantly reduces session time and saves money. But you can apply the correction only if at least 50% of the accumulated material has been preserved.
- The master combs the cilia and separates those that will fall off shortly.
- A solvent adhesive is applied to each bundle (or individual hair).
- Eyelashes are degreased with a special tool.
- Extended hairs on strongly regrown natural ones are also removed.
- The resulting voids are filled with new artificial cilia.
- Fresh material is also glued on eyelashes that were not used the last time, for example, on weak ones or in the growth stage, which have grown stronger by the time of correction.
Factors affecting the frequency of correction of extended eyelashes
The duration of the effect of any care procedure, including eyelash extensions or correction, depends on the rate of metabolic processes in the body. They affect the condition of the skin and the growth rate of nails and hair due to lifestyle.
As for the frequency of the procedure for correcting eyelash extensions, on average, it takes 3-4 weeks before the renewal. During this time, natural hairs grow, and artificial ones become noticeable. With the natural loss of aged cilia, the hairs glued to them also fall out. Also, in the row, the growing fluff becomes noticeable. It differs in size from the main row.
Even perfect eyelash extensions lose their appearance over time. Several factors determine the moment when you need to update them:
- The professionalism of the specialist and the quality of the consumables he uses. If the master builds up voluminous, dense eyelashes on natural weakened hairs, the result is unlikely to be durable. You also need to choose the right distance between the eyelashes, the shape, and the type of material.
- Condition of natural eyelashes. If they look weakened and require care, it is better to postpone the build-up and restore your own. Otherwise, the effect of the procedure will be short-lived, and the appearance will not please.
- Growth rate. If natural cilia grow and renew quickly, the correction must be done more often.
- Strengthened work of the sebaceous glands. The results of eyelash extension and correction can quickly disappear with oily skin. This is because lash makers use special glue in their work, which loses its properties with constant contact with oily skin.
- Individual biological processes. For example, during hormonal changes in the body, eyelashes can quickly fall off, even if the procedure was performed by a professional using high-quality materials.
- Wrong care. A few more factors that affect the frequency of correction:
- Contact with water (the more water procedures the client takes, the shorter the period of the build-up effect, for example, when swimming and relaxing at sea, cilia are lost and deformed more often; with this lifestyle, correction is required earlier than in a month);
- The oil base in care and decorative cosmetics (oils can break down the glue, with frequent contact of extended eyelashes with them, the adhesive base can be destroyed, and artificial hairs fall off faster; therefore, study your cosmetics and postpone the use of products with oils until the extended eyelashes are completely removed).
- Extension method. The correction frequency depends on how the procedure was performed, in what volume, and in what order the artificial villi were attached. The eyelash method has a longer wear time compared to the beam method.
- Visual effect. There are several techniques: classic, 2D, and 3D extension. Volumetric techniques significantly increase the load on natural eyelashes because several artificial hairs are glued to each other. Therefore, they may fall out ahead of schedule.
Care after the correction of eyelash extensions
Any changes that occur after the correction of eyelash extensions affect their durability. Therefore, it is recommended to carry out special care, especially in the first 5-7 days after the procedure:
- Immediately after correction or extension, in no case should you wet your eyelashes. The glue dries completely within 24 hours when the natural hairs are mated with artificial ones. The next day, you can wash your face and blot your eyes with a soft towel, adjust the hairs with a special brush, twisting from the outside.
- Eyelashes should not be touched. The less they come into contact with sebum, even clean hands, the stronger they will be. In addition, artificial hairs are very sensitive to mechanical stress; they can lose the position fixed by the master and eventually fall off faster.
- It is highly not recommended to visit the bath, sauna, solarium, and other hot procedures in the first week after building or correction.
- It is better to sleep on your back or your side.
- Many girls prefer to build eyelashes before relaxing in the sea. Indeed, it is convenient on a trip; you can safely swim and sunbathe, but it is better to refrain from diving and jumping into the water.
- It is recommended to wash your face with spring water if you have very chlorinated tap water.
- You should choose light serums and products without oils in the composition for care around the eyes.
- When using decorative eye cosmetics, it is advisable to refrain from makeup for several days after correction or eyelash extensions.
- For washing, baby detergents or a special micellar foam are best suited;
- A towel should only be used to wet the eyelashes; in no case should you put pressure on your eyes;
- It is necessary to comb the cilia several times every day, twisting them to maintain their original appearance as long as possible;
- It is recommended to remove decorative cosmetics with the help of special means, using cotton pads, sticks, or sponge;
- Applying night care creams to the skin about two hours before bedtime is advisable.
Dreaming of beautiful eyelashes? If you want the extensions to be stable and keep a beautiful appearance for as long as possible, we recommend that you properly care for them:
- Use special flushing agents for artificial eyelashes if you constantly apply decorative cosmetics to your eyelids;
- Study the description of the shadows and eyeliners that are in your cosmetic bag; choose a mascara with keratin or castor oil;
- Always remove your makeup before bed.
It is not recommended to walk with eyelash extensions all year round; take breaks and let the natural hairs rest. Then native eyelashes will have a healthier shine, and a beautiful, expressive look will delight you and those around you.
Correction of extended eyelashes makes the appearance attractive and sexy; eyelashes look fluffy, thick, and natural without decorative cosmetics.