Additional Education Types & Significance
Various types of additional education are designed to provide new knowledge and develop the student’s personality in general. These opportunities are available for both schoolchildren and professionals who need advanced training.
If everything is more or less clear with children, then in the case of CVE (additional professional education), everything is more complicated. To obtain it, it is sometimes necessary to have a specialty and a diploma and choose the right study center.
The essence of additional education
Obtaining new knowledge and skills is an integral part of the intellectual development of modern man. The additional education mechanism significantly expands life’s horizons and provides great opportunities for professional and personal growth.
Additional education ensures compliance with the following criteria:
- Learning conditions. Based on personal considerations, the future student determines the time, study schedule, location, cost, and other additional conditions for himself.
- Specialization. Additional education today is represented by a large selection of personal and professional growth areas. Everyone has the opportunity to choose training by his profession.
- Restriction. Each type of additional education has its selection criteria for students, both by age and by, the price of the course, and the number of places available for training.
Teaching in additional education courses is carried out exclusively by specialized specialists who have graduated from a higher educational institution and have received the necessary qualifications according to the program.
Types of additional education for children
The process of additional education of children is constantly being improved. The goals and objectives of the training programs are being expanded and supplemented by world scientific standards.
As part of their activities, modern educational institutions provide various types of additional children’s education. The key criteria for choosing education are the comprehensive development of the child‘s personality, correct perception, and future professional orientation.
Additional study of foreign languages, mathematical and art courses, and other academic disciplines are a clear example of the diversity of the direction of additional education for children, determined by talent, ability, and individuality for learning.
There are the following types of institutions of additional education:
- Faculties of additional education at the federal level.
- Network professional institutions of additional education.
- Author’s methods and courses, seminars for specialist teachers of a narrow profile.
As an important element of additional education, creativity includes the following forms, which differ from each other in creative activity, the principles of association and the orientation of interests and talents.
There are seven main ones: circle, studio, ensemble, theater, orchestra, class, and school.
- A circle is the most common form of additional education, the composition of which is formed by a voluntary association of children according to their creative interests, abilities, and hobbies. Such education is the most creatively active.
- Studio – as a rule, a team united by a single creative activity, joint classes on certain topics, and the formation of relevant knowledge and skills.
- The ensemble is a group musical association of children performing various works of art. The performance of the ensemble can be both joint and solo. Education in the ensemble also takes place in a team or individually.
- The theater is a way of association in which the emphasis of creative activity is on performance as a method of effectively realizing the symbolic potential of each of its participants.
- An orchestra is a creative group expressed in children’s joint performances of musical works. The orchestra combines the playing of different instruments, whose members demonstrate a variety of directions in music.
- A class is a group of children of the same age. In the classroom, training sessions are held jointly in different areas of creativity, according to the educational program.
- The school is a diverse association of narrow specializations. The system of additional education provides the study of various subjects, with the possibility of deeper learning at the next stages of the educational process.
Types of additional professional education
Types of additional education are conditionally divided into three groups, including:
- certified vocational training of students, with the receipt of a document of the appropriate sample (diploma);
- Retraining, with a volume of training of up to 100 academic hours or audio materials of up to 500 hours of listening, at the end of which a profile certificate is issued;
- Short-term courses, author’s seminars, and professional or personal growth training. All these educational programs are directly related to providing information to improve the skills of the group being trained.
Comprehensive information support of students in the group is the basic task of the educational program, being the basis of an effective educational process.
It should be noted that an internship, as a type of additional education, is classified as certified training or retraining.
Any professional activity requires an employee or manager to constantly develop and maintain the level of their knowledge and skills. Refresher courses are the main tool for improving one’s professional capabilities. A good example of this is familiarizing staff with new technologies and equipment or returning employees to work after a long break.
Successful career growth depends on constantly expanding one’s professional qualities, even when job descriptions do not fundamentally change. Employee dissatisfaction with remuneration conditions, work schedule, or position held is the most common reason for changing activities, hence the need to retrain.
Sources of new knowledge and skills can be specialized courses, thematic seminars, and training for professional growth. Organizations and institutions of various professional profiles aimed at obtaining additional education are maximally adapted for their students, implementing online learning on the job and providing a comfortable learning process.
Forms and conditions of DPO
Training in professional additional education programs of the above two categories is carried out in several ways:
- full-time form (personal visits to each training session in a certain academic period);
- part-time form (mixed type of attending classes, with the ability to complete tasks at home);
- distance form (fulfillment of the set curriculum remotely at home or work).
The advantage of such various forms of study in the programs of higher education institutions allows students to choose the most suitable study schedule for them. At the end of the received diplomas, it is not indicated on the full-time or part-time form he studied; only the program’s name passed and its total time is noted.
As a rule, the educational institution determines the format of additional vocational training. Even in the absence of specific information about the forms of study on official sources for specific courses, the student always has the opportunity to change to a more suitable option for studying on the course. An internship, as a type of training, is formalized on an individual basis, depending on the technical capabilities of a particular educational institution.
The availability of various additional education programs provides an excellent opportunity to undergo professional retraining for international students, the main requirement for which is the recognition of their certificates.
The need to retake exams when entering a program of additional professional training is excluded if the formal minimum conditions are met, namely, confirmation of basic education (diploma), secondary professional education, and the availability of relevant documents (certificates) indicating current studies at a university or college.
In a separate case, some types of institutions of additional education may assign a test before admission, which mainly applies to situations of obtaining more in-depth knowledge, for example, an alternative master’s course. Having paid the tuition fee on his own or using a grant, the student directly proceeds to study.
Maximum affordability is the main advantage of all CPE formats for classical education at a university, with its longer term for obtaining a diploma and high tuition fees.
The area of system of institutions of additional professional education is very extensive. Educational centers differ in their material base and personnel potential, and reducing the cost of services is the only way to attract students while conducting relevant tenders and competitions.
As a result, without high-quality training, students are given diplomas without a real base of professional knowledge and skills. In such an institution, there is simply no necessary specialized information and necessary scientific materials. In this case, it is impossible to call a student a graduate who has passed DPO and confirmed his level of qualification. The customer is forced to check the acquired knowledge of his employees.
It can be stated that modern information technologies provide all the opportunities for obtaining any form (full-time, part-time, distance schedule) of additional professional education. Which, in turn, guarantees high-quality professional and personal growth in any area of modern work activity.